Monday, August 22, 2011

Garden Reclamation

So after a worthless weekend of laying around like a slug, I decided that I needed to get into the secret garden and get to work. I had already put in a full day on the job and burned some calories at the YMCA, but my jungle of a garden called to me. I had longingly looked at the garden through the writing room window all day the day before. So although I was practically spent, I knew the need was great and the call to action too pressing. So I put on my gloves, doused myself with bug spray, grabbed the rusty by-pass pruners, a set of loppers and entered through the first garden gate with much trepidation. The first few cuts with the pruners felt mean, but the longer I was swung the machete, the tougher I became. This garden had been my solace, my little slice of heaven on earth where I could hide myself away from the neighbors, uninvited visitors and sadly, even my family. But I had allowed the weeds to grow, the plants to escape and the critters to roam free. It was a mess and I was to blame. Pulling the hateful little weeds and stacking them in a growing pile made me feel alive. More so than I had in days, maybe weeks. Yanking and pulling, I stripped the raised bed of invasive plants that were out of place. That's the nice way to describe a weed. Something out of place. It didn't take long for the garden that I love and had missed, to spring back into view. My neglect had caused it to get overgrown and because of that, I was afraid to enter, afraid of what I would find, afraid of the work it would require to right the wrong. And it got me to thinking about the garden of my heart and mind. Often times, without forethought I will neglect my thoughts. I'll allow them to roam free, dwell on the negative, see and hear only the ill and then wonder why I feel so sad, so bad and so mad. Again, taking responsibility for my out of sorts inner garden requires that I suit up for the job properly, be committed to cleaning up the mess and without hesitation, jump in with both feet. It's not something I'm proud of, letting things go to pot. But I'm honest enough to admit when I've been lazy, neglectful or uncaring. Guarding your heart and your mind are the best defense. If those tactics fail or falter; then you must renew, refresh and replenish your garden with the good, the true, the honest, and the positive. I did tonight and it feels amazing!

2 comments:

  1. What a great truth you've spoken here! I have to guard my heart and my thoughts daily or my mind becomes the devil's playground and then my actions follow! And I have had to do that deep, intense weeding here lately to get my mind and thoughts back in line with what honors God! Thanks for the great message! And by the way, the secret garden looks great! I need to come back for a visit! Can you put air conditioning out there?? :)

    Love you girl!
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, the garden is invitingly lovely, just like I would expect you to have.
    Guilt washes over me as I consider the fact that I had let my side yard where the tomatoes and raspberries mix with the herbs and zinnias and other volunteer flowers, get weedy and ugly. But I still felt like I had other things pressing and just got out the weed sprayer and tried to be as selective as I could.
    I fear, however, that symbolically there's no way to repent without a little sacrifice. Of course a little herbicide strayed where it didn't belong and I'll lose some of the things I care about for the sake of other priorities. Hmmmm. The analogies are good brain food!

    ReplyDelete