Monday, May 2, 2011

What? Me, Scared?

Her ear piercing scream stopped me in my tracks. She had my attention and I dared not move an inch. I held my breath and froze, trying to decide how to escape unharmed.

I had seen the little family huddling together for warmth earlier in the day. I'll admit that I waited until the fussy mother had wandered off before I ventured over to see the triplets close up.

Their mother and father never got too far from them. It's not like I meant to do them harm. I just wanted to see their little faces and coo to them. I'm a mother too after all, I reasoned. I saw their red-headed dad across the way, "You are gorgeous!" I mouthed to him. He acted like he didn't understand. It was cheap flattery, I'll admit, but I'm a shameless flirt.

As I looked from one sibling to the next, I was amazed at their tiny, perfect features. "Aren't you just the sweetest things?" I asked them, not expecting a response. I got one however. In the form of one very angry momma. She let me know in no uncertain terms that I had better move away from her offspring without delay. She screeched, and screamed and laid down the law in a way that only a mother could.

I tried to explain, to compliment her on her babies, to praise her rearing abilities, but she would hear none of it. She raised her voice, so I raised my hands in defeat and bowed slightly as I backed away slowly from the silent, but wide-eyed little ones. My heart was racing, my breathing quick and shallow, she had convinced me that she would do anything to protect her young. She may have only been a bird, a cardinal no less, but a mother in every sense of the word.

A mother's love can't be explained with fancy words or rhymes
it's something supernatural and it's there for all times.
A mother's love goes beyond a certain parental bond,
it's like a raging river, yet serene as a still pond.
It's boundaries are endless and it's functions are too,
a mother's love are the arms that scold while cradling you...Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! We had baby blue birds in our birdhouse out back. We did take a peak,too,but the mama was in the nest with them and she just watched us...didn't make a sound. Soooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete