Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sometimes It Makes No Sense

I scrolled through the list of the fatality reports on my Blackberry. It was only Saturday morning, but already eight people had died on Oklahoma roadways. Feeling nauseous, I sat and hung my head to catch my breath. Every person that died so far that weekend represented at least a dozen or more broken hearts. Mothers, daddies, brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, sons, daughters...the list would go on and on; people negatively affected by the loss of someone they cared about.

Selfishly, I thought of the emergency response personnel that would have been involved in each one of the collisions. EMTs, firefighters, police, troopers and civilians that witness the senselessness that was a fatal car crash. I search the sky and try to understand without questioning, but sometimes...sometimes it is more than I can take.

I'm angry that people die for no reason. I'm furious with people who choose to drink alcohol and then drive a motor vehicle. Why aren't they the ones to die? Why do innocent children lose their lives? Why do mommies never come home? Why must beloved sons leave never to return? Why do I have to cover them with a paper sheet or put my arm around a stranger's shoulder as he sobs uncontrollably? Why?

One day I may have those answers, or maybe I never will. I dry my eyes and thank God for every second I have with the ones I love, hoping others are doing the same.

1 comment:

  1. Betsy,of all the mercies God has shown me one of the greatest is that I never hurt/killed anyone while driving impaired and believe me there were plenty of times it could have happened. Grace has enabled me to overcome many things but I don't know if I could live with that. Thank you Lord for your mercy.

    ReplyDelete